May 14, 2007

Just got an e-mail from James "Big Guns" Beaman '05. (That's him on the right with the hat). JB was part of my first freshman class and the ideal of a Carthage guy. He was all-conference for us, and he was recently published in Mathematics Magazine. He makes a great point about one of the advantages of a place like Carthage:
I meant to forward you this a while back. It is about the Train Track article I co-wrote with my professor Mark Snavely for Mathematics Magazine. Part of the article is based on the research that I did as part of my senior thesis. Ivars Peterson is one of the premier mathematics writers in the country. He read our article and wrote a column about it in Science News Online. Most undergrads don't get the chance to have their work published in a major math publication, let alone have it written about in Science News.

Besides giving me a chance to brag, I thought this could be a big advantage for Carthage if we are recruiting someone that is interested in a graduate education in math or even if they are looking to go into business - the article helped me get my position at Walgreens. It is awesome that Carthage is able to give undergrads an opportunity like the one I had.

Who knew Math could be so cool?

Search

Twitter

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

Copyright © Red Tide Report | Powered by Blogger
Design by SimpleWpThemes | Blogger Theme by Lasantha - PremiumBloggerTemplates.com | NewBloggerThemes.com