July 3, 2008

One of the best parts about trials being in Omaha this week is the fact that it's a reunion in so many ways. I get to see my old friends from high school. I get to hang with my swimming friends from around the country. Sometimes, I even get to mix the two.

For the past couple of mornings, that's meant I've been getting up to be at the JCC by 5:30 for morning practice with Swim Omaha. Every morning has been a madhouse with some 80-90 kids in the water, most of whom have traveled across the country to watch big brother or sister swim in the meet, yet still have to get in the water themselves. On deck, I get to hang with my club coach and mentor, Docker Hartfield (that's him with the Illinois shirt, Steve will be paying for his clothing choice in the fall). I've also been able to meet Scott Usher's high school coach (the son of Scott Usher's club coach by the way will be a Red Man in the fall), and hang out with The Legendary Bob Steele.

So how small is the swimming & Omaha community? Well, as I was walking the concourse of the Qwest center, a guy with a bright red beard stopped me and said, "Hey, Greg Earhart, how you doing?" I tried to be nice, but it was obvious I had no idea who he was until he said, "it's me, Mike Hoskovec" a kid I'd swum with and coached when he was about 8-10 years old.

Another guy I swam with, Chris Jensen, is also now head coach of a big club team in town and even my mom is roped in. She plays bridge each week with the mom of Doug Krecklow, who in addition to coaching with Docker, has also led Omaha Westside High School to multiple state championships. Omaha Westside, incidentally, is where our own Sue Nutty graduated.

Search

Twitter

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

Copyright © Red Tide Report | Powered by Blogger
Design by SimpleWpThemes | Blogger Theme by Lasantha - PremiumBloggerTemplates.com | NewBloggerThemes.com