December 19, 2006

DAY TWO
The Carthage Red Men are taking their training trip to the University of Houston, home of the 2007 NCAA Championships. Each day we're asking one of the guys to give their account of the trip. Today's guest columnist is two-time CCIW Champion and Honorable Mention All-American Zach Jole.

The team wakes up to day two with the aches and fatigue of the elapsed and relieved first day. From my viewpoint I look at how many practices remain. Although we only have 4 and a half days left, the nine workouts makes the remaining training trip feel like a lifetime. Before we depart at 6 a.m., my roommates and I grab a quick bite to eat and are encountered with the Monday’s morning showers. Despite the dreary day we go into the swim practice with our Gatorade and “QBQ” attitudes. At first, swimming long course made me worry about how much my body could handle, reflecting on last year’s high altitude long course training in Mexico. But this year is a little different. This year we have a team that makes me look forward to every practice and every moment with them. With these guys, they provide an atmosphere that lifts my spirits and pushes me through the hard times, this week especially.

Reflecting on the day, this morning’s workout totaled 5500 meters. That plus the roughly 6 grand of short course yards we did this afternoon, give or take a thousand for distance or sprinters, I now reap the consequences of a training trip. I continue to increase my value on sleep as the week passes as does every other person on this team. I now end my night on the hopes of another good day of swimming tomorrow and the hopes of a third touchdown from Marvin Harrison to secure my playoff victory in fantasy football.

Search

Twitter

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

Copyright © Red Tide Report | Powered by Blogger
Design by SimpleWpThemes | Blogger Theme by Lasantha - PremiumBloggerTemplates.com | NewBloggerThemes.com